Orange Isis Genießer

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Beers of Oklahoma

After going to one of my favorite liquor stores last night, Broadway Wine Merchant, I felt like I should shed some light on the Oklahoma beer scene.  Below is a list of beers brewed in Oklahoma that I think more people should know about.  Look them up and try to find them in your area (might be hard for out of state friends).  If you know of more that I missed please leave comments at the bottom.

Coop Ale Works http://www.coopaleworks.com/

This the first craft local brewery that I knew about and have come to know the most about.  The people behind the beer are great and all involved in the community.  They recently had an aniverary party where the showcased all of their amazing capabilities and beers over the last couple years, as well as what the future may hold.  The photo is of one of their limited releases, a barrel aged stout, tasty out of the keg and I am going to try and age some bottle to let the flavors develop even more (If I can wait).  They have many other beers as well, F5 IPA which has been flying out of taps all over the city, DNR always popular strong belgian and many others.

Prairie Artisan Ales http://www.prairieales.com/

New (at least to me) and exciting brewery out of Krebs, OK.  I first had their Prairie Ale late this last summer and found it to be incredibly refreshing while delivering subtle hoppy/citrusy flavors that kept me coming back for more.  Over the last couple months they have released more varieties including an IPA and barrel aged Imperial Stout called Prairie Noir (including bad ass label).  It is an incredibly bold and dark beer that finishes with that nice bourbon barrel sweetness.  I will definitely be making a trip down to the brewery (and to Pete's Place which I have heard so much about!) when I can to explore more of what they do.

Black Mesa Brewing Company http://blackmesabrewing.com/

This is another recent start up here in OKC and have delivered on what people are looking for in the craft beer scene here.  I personally fall back on their Black Mesa Blonde when I can't make a decision on what beer to have when out and about.  They have also come out with an ESB that has been gaining some traction as well.  Right now they only have two beers, but both are done well and I can imagine that they will have more to come over the next couple years.

Battered Boar Brewing Company http://www.batteredboar.com/

A small batch brewing company from OKC, their motto is "Changing the world one pint at a time."  Doing small batching allows them to create craft beers for the local community and brew what they like to drink.  I haven't tried all of their beers, but I do enjoy the Pumpkin Ale in fall and the Hefe for a nice change up during the summer.  It is also fun to go on the website for interesting pairing combinations and serving temps with all their brews.

No comments:

Post a Comment